Why am I doing this?


credits to Justin Bond of Star Talent Events for the audio.


Thanks for stopping in! This summer, I'll be biking 2500 miles from San Francisco to Gibson City, IL to raise $4000 for the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition and the Ford County Youth Soccer Club. My route map.

Why?
There are so many reasons. As a youngster growing up in central Illinois, playing soccer, as rare as it was for the area, was an activity that really shaped me into the person I am today. Not only combining the importance of fitness and teamwork, but also leadership and discipline. I have always wanted to have the opportunity to give back to this organization (FCYSC), and I feel that this is my chance.

Living just outside of Gibson City causes every child to be an avid cyclist to survive that stretch of Route 9 to make it into town. As I've progressed into my current career as an urban planner, I realize how much of an impact cycling can make in certain parts of the United States, in reducing our dependence on vehicles, increasing our health, among other benefits. Atlanta is the place that re-energized my spirit for transportation planning and I hope to be able to return some gratitude to the ABC, a cause that I still feel has an uphill battle in that town.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact me at supawanich@gmail.com

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Last day in Colorado - day 20something

So last night I spent an eventful evening in Conastoga Park in Ordway, CO. Ordway was definately welcoming to touring cyclists and they even let me take a shower in their high school locker room. (see photo below...) how come all high school locker rooms look the same? It was pretty hilarious getting the grand tour of the school, but the principal was very nice and hospitible.
So after a wonderful shower and a trip to the library, it was time to settle into my new home at the park pavillion. I was staying at the pavillion because it was supposed to storm pretty hard that evening and it seemed like a pretty defensible fortress from the high schoolers who seemed to be a bit troublesome. Every time I woke up, I really felt that I was camping at Gibson City's North Park... which is a hilarious proposition when I think about it. I saw lots of heat lightning that evening, but the storm that was supposed to be never really came.

The next morning I woke up around 730 and gathered my things. I hit the road for Eads, CO (about 60 miles away) around 830 and had a slight tailwind at my back. It was pretty cloudy which made for great cycling weather. If you were ever wondering where old railcars go to die, don't ask any longer, they come to Eastern Colorado. I passed at least 20 miles of abandoned rail cars.
Later on the ride, I was passed by a couple of nice guys who pulled over to give me some of their harvest. Which was really awesome. They provided me with a canteloup (sp?) and some tomatoes, which I managed to secure to my bike rather craftily in my opinion.
So here's me after 23 days on a bike. I look pretty much the same and I think I weigh at least close to the same. You can't tell, but this is from on top of one of those abandoned rail cars. Talk about a disappointing shot from above.
Around 11:30, I pulled along side this gentleman, Jerry from Petersburg, IL. I rode alongside him for a few miles before stopping for lunch. He and his wife Judy had been riding from Oregon and they treated me to a great lunch and some stories from their ride so far. After lunch, Jerry and I chatted for the remaining 20 some miles into Eads, where we'll both be staying tonight.

Unfortunately, it looks like rain here in Eads. I'll be sure to update tomorrow once I make it to Kansas! Long ride tomorrow, 100+ miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment