Why am I doing this?


credits to Justin Bond of Star Talent Events for the audio.


Thanks for stopping in! This summer, I'll be biking 2500 miles from San Francisco to Gibson City, IL to raise $4000 for the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition and the Ford County Youth Soccer Club. My route map.

Why?
There are so many reasons. As a youngster growing up in central Illinois, playing soccer, as rare as it was for the area, was an activity that really shaped me into the person I am today. Not only combining the importance of fitness and teamwork, but also leadership and discipline. I have always wanted to have the opportunity to give back to this organization (FCYSC), and I feel that this is my chance.

Living just outside of Gibson City causes every child to be an avid cyclist to survive that stretch of Route 9 to make it into town. As I've progressed into my current career as an urban planner, I realize how much of an impact cycling can make in certain parts of the United States, in reducing our dependence on vehicles, increasing our health, among other benefits. Atlanta is the place that re-energized my spirit for transportation planning and I hope to be able to return some gratitude to the ABC, a cause that I still feel has an uphill battle in that town.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact me at supawanich@gmail.com

Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sub-30 days and counting!


So I must admit, this photo is a bit dated and it was when I wasn't recovering from a leg injury and it was when the state of california actually had a budget. Nonethless, you can imagine, that if you fast forwarded a year, and i had a better tan, this is what I would look like training for my cross country ride!

However! neverfear, I now can start to say my leg is getting better, and never a better time than 28 days before the beginning of the ride! So I apologize for not writing more often, but these past few weeks have a been a bit hectic with being out of town last weekend (South Carolina) and this weekend (Illinois). I'm also trying to wrap up my current job while preparing myself for a move out of my house. whew. So yes, It's been a bit crazy. However I've had a few accomplishments!

1. I have my trailer now (it's fantastic, I can't wait to start training with it)
2. I just made wedding save-the-date's last night... not bike related, but glad to have gotten that started.
3. Fundraising just passed $2500.... however, it's starting to stall a bit, only $1500 more! We can do it!
4. I have *almost* all of the stuff I need minus a cap, bear spray, and a few other random things that will make every last day of those 6 weeks less painful
5. I hear zip-ties are a cyclists best friend. Luckily they were $2 for about 100 of them today at walgreens. oh how life is grand.

Also, I want to give a shout out to my friend Torri Godsey who has been working with me on a potential t-shirt idea! more to come soon, but hopefully it will work out.

Ok, I think that's it for now! Please let me know if you have comments or suggestions!

supa

3 comments:

  1. I'm sure you know this but you can get good can of bear spray at: www.udap.com Also you might want to think about bringing dog biscuits and regular mase or dog attack spray. According to my dad who has been riding his bike across the states, some dogs tend to run after his bike and nip at him. His tosses a biscuit over his shoulder while he keeps riding. If that doesn't get them to stop he just mists a little mase behind him at which point they back off. Although you really wouldn't want to do this with bear mase cause it might so some serious and permenant damage to the dog.Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That pic looks like a AIDS/LifeCycle shot.

    ReplyDelete