Why am I doing this?


credits to Justin Bond of Star Talent Events for the audio.


Thanks for stopping in! This summer, I'll be biking 2500 miles from San Francisco to Gibson City, IL to raise $4000 for the Atlanta Bicycle Coalition and the Ford County Youth Soccer Club. My route map.

Why?
There are so many reasons. As a youngster growing up in central Illinois, playing soccer, as rare as it was for the area, was an activity that really shaped me into the person I am today. Not only combining the importance of fitness and teamwork, but also leadership and discipline. I have always wanted to have the opportunity to give back to this organization (FCYSC), and I feel that this is my chance.

Living just outside of Gibson City causes every child to be an avid cyclist to survive that stretch of Route 9 to make it into town. As I've progressed into my current career as an urban planner, I realize how much of an impact cycling can make in certain parts of the United States, in reducing our dependence on vehicles, increasing our health, among other benefits. Atlanta is the place that re-energized my spirit for transportation planning and I hope to be able to return some gratitude to the ABC, a cause that I still feel has an uphill battle in that town.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact me at supawanich@gmail.com

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Campaign is On!

After a few days of prep work, I've begun the fundraising drive! A huge thank you goes out to Taylor Hirose, a Delta Chi alum, who posted the first donation of $40 to the FCYSC less than 30 minutes after the first email went out!

These past few nights have been late ones as I've been trying to get all of my ducks in a row and type manuscripts. Tomorrow, I'll be sending out 10 fundraising letters to local bike shops (in Berkeley, Champaign, IL and Atlanta, GA) letting them know of my fundraising idea and asking for their support. I am hopeful that some will respond, but also understand that these shops likely have many other local charities that they respond to more frequently, but I suppose it doesn't hurt to ask!

Awesome! So my first set of cycling maps came in today. That will *hopefully* safely navigate me between here and Pueblo, CO. I haven't had a chance to look at the maps in detail yet, but now that most of my letters are out, I really need to focus on the route planning and logistics! Not to mention moving out of my place, storing my stuff for two months, finding a place for when I come back, and starting a job the day after I fly in (and after a friend's wedding in Gibson)... whew.

On that note... I'll use this space to plug for my favorite topic... urban planning:
http://www.planetizen.com/node/39143

work tomoroow. Need to be awake in 5.5 hours. hmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment